Online: Advanced sentence grammar & cohesion
An online course presented by Dr. Rod Campbell, demonstrating that teaching English grammar (or more correctly, teaching students the knowledge and skills for writing English) can be creative, engaging and effective.
This second part of Rod Campbell's course on Teaching Knowledge for the art and craft of writing (Part 1 can be found here), will provide participants an interactive and practical session, giving them more strategies and resources that can be used immediately in the classroom. The workshop is planned so that participants will have information for at least five classroom lessons on teaching clauses of different kinds, sentence variety, paragraphing, pronoun reference and other cohesion systems. Formative assessment of writing systems will be provided.
This course is self-paced.
Who should participate?
Classroom teachers: Prep/Foundation/Kindergarten – Year 6
- Acquire several teaching strategies for teaching grammar and cohesion in English
- Learn how to improve student and classroom use of the metalanguage of English
- Gain an understanding of how to teach the closed parts of speech (prepositions, conjunctions, pronouns and determiners), and their function within sentences and between parts of texts
- Examine systems of cohesion and how these function for composing texts and for comprehending texts
- Develop systems for teaching students to take responsibility for their own writing and crafting of written texts
To register or find out more about this option email or call Andrew Srour on 02 8020 3917.
You will have access to the course materials for 10 weeks.
Cost of participation:
Those who have completed Rod's full course, Teaching Knowledge for The Art and Craft of Writing, will have already covered this content. Completing this online workshop provides approximately three hours of online professional learning and addresses 2.1.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standard for Teachers.
Online registration not available.