What is this course about?
Teachers know that oral language is essential for learning and vocabulary development, and that listening and speaking are an important part of the Australian Curriculum: English. This is a challenge for all classroom teachers, but particularly teachers of EAL/D and some ATSI students. But how do we choose what language should be the focus of our classroom program, and how do we make it stick?
This course explains the role of oral language in learning and will help teachers to include oral language and vocabulary goals as part of each learning area, rather than some separate subject. We will also investigate how teachers’ language and classroom dialogue support the development of oral language.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Understand the oral language expectations and challenges of the Australian curriculum
- Understand the different purposes for using oral language
- Embrace a fresh look at what we can teach students about speaking and listening
- Plan oral assessments in a teaching and learning sequence
Who should participate?
- Teachers - Years F-6, with special attention to those with EAL/D, ATSI and low socio-economic students
- Early career and Pre-service teachers
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
| PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 2 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 1.3.2, 1.2.2 and 3.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.