Important: This course is an updated version of the PETAA Grammar 101 courses. It is recommended that you do not enrol in this course if you have recently completed all three of the online Grammar 101 courses.
What is this course about?
This course is presented by PETAA Literacy leader Karen Rogers.
This course introduces the authentic teaching of grammar. This will involve exploring why grammar matters, how it relates to the Australian Curriculum, and how we can use this to support literacy learning. By the end of this course, you will come away with practical examples of ways to incorporate grammar into your classroom practice.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Understand the use of grammar as a resource for making meaning.
- Describe the differences between a traditional and a functional approach to grammar and language.
- Identify grammar as a system of patterns and structures that organize words into sentences.
- Make links between the Australian Curriculum and the teaching of grammar.
- Be able to use the practical strategies modelled in the course for teaching grammar with mentor texts.
- Be able to explicitly teach grammar to students in their class.
- Identify opportunities for teaching grammar and language within the school’s existing literacy approach.
Who should participate?
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 3 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 1.1.2, 1.2.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 2.2.2. 3.2.2, 3.3.2 and 4.1.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.