What is this course about?
This course is underpinned by the functional perspective of language. It promotes active learning about vocabulary teaching and learning.
It examines research and evidence-based practice on the implications for teaching and learning and integrates context-based strategies into the new NSW syllabus contexts and Australian Curriculum Vs 9.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Understand the role of vocabulary in the broader English literacy context, as described in NSW K-6 English syllabus, and the National Literacy Learning Progression (ACARA).
- Understand the value of explicit teaching of vocabulary based on the three tiers model to all students
- Become familiar with research of some experts in the field
- Understand the significance of early vocabulary development, and its impact on all aspects of learning.
- Know how to build vocabulary at grade and stage appropriate levels, and to introduce and develop students’ technical vocabulary
- Use knowledge of student achievement to develop a strategic approach to the teaching of vocabulary
- Be able to adapt activities which will engage students in developing and using richer and more extensive vocabulary for speaking and writing
Who should participate?
- Teachers - Years F - 6
- Literacy Coordinators
- Teacher Librarians
- Early-career and Pre-service teachers
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 3 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 2.5.2 and 3.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.