What is this course about?
This course, based on the best-selling Exploring how texts work, 2nd edition by Professor Beverly Derewianka, provides teachers with access to the power and practical language theory of Michael Halliday and others. It supports teachers to identify the kinds of texts and language features that students need to control in order to be successful learners in different curriculum areas. This course is a case study of a Year 6 exploring Explanations in a Science topic focusing on generating electricity.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Explain the key text features of an Explanation
- Delve into the "circumstances" of a text - the details surrounding the activity
- Improve your joint construction skills
- Analyse Explanation work samples
Who should participate?
- Teachers - Upper Primary
- Early career
- Preservice teachers
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
This course is designed as a companion professional development resource for the highly commended PETAA text, Exploring how texts work. This text is required reading for this course.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 2 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 2.1.2 and 2.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.