What is this course about?
This short course provides an introduction to teaching visual literacy. The visual elements of texts are defined, and participants learn how how illustrators and visual text composers use them to meet particular purposes, to express meanings for their intended audience. This course will use examples from imaginative, informative or persuasive texts to discuss the general purpose of literature and, specifically, the way the visual elements work to meet the purpose of the text.
Teachers can use the metalanguage outlined in this course to help them to understand and think about texts as they plan and prepare their lessons. This course is an excellent start to learning about visual literacy and a much needed resource if you are planning a unit of work with a focus on visual literacy.
Through completing this course, participants will:
- Identify visual elements in texts
- Learn how illustrators and visual text composers use visual elements to meet particular purposes, to express meanings for their intended audience
- Explore how we are positioned by images
- Understand how the text is composed and how choices help to structure the text to convey meaning
Who should participate?
- Teachers- Years F-6
- Literacy Teachers
- Teacher Librarians
What else do I need to know?
This is a perfect opportunity for colleagues to work together in a PL session, or independently as part of their professional development practice. This course is self-paced and unmoderated, meaning all participants have access to materials for 365 days from the date they register.
This course is designed as a companion professional development resource for the PETAA text, The potential of the visual: Teaching literacy with multimodal texts. This text is required reading for this course.
How does it work?
- Individuals: upon registration individuals will be sent a link to access the PL on our online learning platform.
- Group Booking (up to 25 staff): One staff member must register on behalf of their school and will then be required to email us the names, job titles and email addresses of teachers they wish to enrol.
|Cost of participation
|PL Subscription School Member
*Enquire to register a group. Member Schools only.
|Non-Member Group booking*
*Enquire to register a group.
Not a member? Sign up here to access group pricing, discounts and our member resource portal.
Completing this course comprises 2 hours (NSW - Elective PL) of online professional learning addressing standards 2.5.2 and 3.3.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.