With the ever-increasing text complexity that students are required to access there is an increased imperative for sound vocabulary development in the early years. This course assists teachers to provide explicit vocabulary instruction for all students, particularly in the language of quality texts and ´school’ language.
- Understand the role of vocabulary in the broader English literacy context
- Understand the value of explicit teaching of vocabulary to all students
- Know how to build vocabulary at grade and Stage appropriate levels
- Know ways to introduce and develop students’ technical vocabulary
- Use their knowledge to develop a strategic approach to the teaching of vocabulary
- Be able to adapt activities which will engage students in developing and using richer and more extensive vocabulary for speaking and writing
Who should participate?
- Teachers of students in years F-6
Venue: Western Sydney (TBC)
Cost of participation:
(until 21 March 2022)
Early Bird prices until 21 March 2022
Completing this course will contribute 5 hours of face to face professional development addressing 1.3.2, 1.5.2, 2.1.2, 3.2.2, 3.3.2, 3.6.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation.
Morning tea and lunch will be provided.
Should planned face to face events have to be cancelled due to changing COVID situations, PETAA will endeavour to offer the same course online either via live webinar at the same time or in a recorded format on our LearnBook platform which enables participants to complete the course in their own time. Should PETAA be unable to offer a course online, a full refund or PETAA credit towards another course will be provided.