Online: Launching Spelling Through Reading and Writing
Presented and moderated by Robyn Wild. This hands-on workshop will provide expert guidance and advice, alongside video case studies, of launching spelling in your classroom through reading and writing.
While most Kindergarten teachers don’t use formal spelling programs or include weekly Friday dictations into their literacy routines, the teaching of spelling is their core business. So, what are they doing? Join us while we see and hear how children are introduced to words, letters and letter patterns during shared reading and shared and interactive writing, and then use this information as they create their own texts. Whether you’re teaching Kindergarten or an older grade, using a spelling program or not, you can support your students’ spelling confidence and development.
Who should participate?
- Classroom teachers for Foundation/Prep/Kindergarten - Year 3
- Learn how teachers can highlight spelling information during shared reading and writing
- Discuss how students are encouraged to use this knowledge in their own writing
- Take advantage of group discussions where you can interact with both Robyn and your peers, to share ideas, strategies and challenges you face in your own classroom
- View videos of students engaged in learning to spell while reading and writing.
Cost of Participation:
- Member: $200
- Student Member: $150
- Non-member: $300
Completing this course provides 5 hours of professional learning addressing 1.2.2,2.1.2 and 2.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
Online registration not available.