PETAA Award for Excellence in Primary English Teaching
PETAA is committed to supporting the work of primary teachers across Australia. To acknowledge the expertise and commitment of our members, we are delighted to announce the inaugural PETAA Award for Excellence in Primary English Teaching.
This award is open to current (or recent*) full-time and part-time teachers of primary English in Australia, and is also open to teachers in leadership positions. Applicants must be PETAA members.
The Award will be conferred at the PETAA 2022 Leading with Literacy Conference on 21st October. The winner will be presented with a certificate and receive a one-year complimentary membership of PETAA.
About the Award
Applicants will be assessed on evidence across four selection criteria as below.
- Demonstrates excellence in teaching English in the primary school classroom through innovative and original programs aligned with current curricula.
- Supports students to become successful and engaged users of language and literacy across the primary curriculum as evident in illustrative material such as student work samples, reflections, parent or peer feedback, or relevant metrics.
- Engages in ongoing professional growth in relation to the teaching of English; that is, language, literacy and literature.
- Contributes positively to PETAA through active participation in one or more of the following: professional learning, publications and/or other initiatives such as sharing PETAA resources and drawing on them within school-based professional learning communities, literacy coaching, special interest networks etc.
Nominations are now open. They can be made online and will close on Monday August 1st, 2022.
We accept self-nominations and peer-nominations. All nominations should address each of the above criteria in no more than 200 words per criteria, and be accompanied by a written reference from someone in a supervisory role. Applicants may include links to additional resources such as social media sites or videos as further evidence of their work.
An evaluation committee of PETAA directors, staff and members will review all applications and determine the final award winners (up to three awards will be given in each calendar year).
The Award will be conferred at the PETAA Leading with Literacy Conference on 21st October. The winner will be presented with a certificate and receive a one-year complimentary membership of PETAA.
For further information or if you have any questions, please contact PETAA Professional Learning Manager Robyn Topp.
Applications open: 16th May 2022
Applications close: 1st August
Applications reviewed: 1st – 31st August
Winner notified (confidentially): 30th September
Final announcement: 21st October (at the 2022 PETAA Leading with Literacy conference).
* Recent = Having worked with children in classrooms within the last 5 years.