On Demand: Leading with Literacy-PETAA 2022 Conference
Many primary literacy experts!
Available until 21 April 2023
Online unmoderated course
From Babble (the beginning of language), to Batavia (reading unfamiliar, multisyllable words across subject areas) and Beyond (the power of literacy to make a difference).
PETAA's 2022 sell-out conference focused on the journey of literacy from earliest communication and language development through to the early years of high school. These presentations will guide you through skills and strategies from a child's very first communication, to learning to read, transitioning through the primary years as students extend their skills and read in order to learn. This self-paced online conference comprises a series of presentations in three streams: Early Childhood and First years of formal schooling, Years 3-4 Years 5-6 and beyond.
Key topics include:
- Oral language and building vocabulary from early childhood through the primary years
- Learning to read: phonological awareness, reading fluency, decoding, phonics and comprehension
- Celebrating storytelling
- Supporting struggling readers
- Literacy across the learning areas (with a special focus on science)
- Implementing school-wide programs and approaches that transform student outcomes
- The latest research into student reading and writing development and how that translates into classroom practice across the primary grades
Key speakers included:
- Dr Emilia Djonov, Macquarie University
- Dr Helen Harper, University of New England
- Prof. Peter O'Connor, University of Auckland
- Prof. Pauline Jones, University of Wollongong
- Prof. Christine Edwards-Groves, Australian Catholic University
- Dr Tanya Notley, University of Western Sydney
- Dr Gill Pennington, EAL/D Consultant and Researcher
- Jennifer Asha, Australian Catholic University and University of Sydney
- Dr Sarah Ohl, Deakin University
- Ron Gorman, Association of Independent Schools, WA
- Dr Margery Hertzberg, Independent EAL/D, English and Drama consultant
- Dr Leonie Arthur, Independent Early Childhood consultant
|Cost of access
| Whole school*
(email [email protected] for booking)
Online registration not available.