Online Whole School: Intro to English language and sentence
An online course presented by Dr. Rod Campbell, demonstrating that teaching English grammar (or more correctly, teaching students the knowledge and skills for writing English) can be creative, engaging and effective.
This interactive and practical session will give teachers strategies and resources that can be used immediately in the classroom. Participants will have information for at least five classroom lessons on teaching vocabulary, grammar and sentence construction, based upon the syntactic patterns of English. All dimensions of the workshop and the work of Dr Campbell are nested in the content descriptions of the Australian Curriculum: English.
This course is self-paced.
Who should participate?
- Classroom teachers years Prep/Foundation/Kindergarten - Year 6
- Develop several teaching strategies for teaching the sentence grammar of English
- Acquire knowledge and skills for encouraging students' vocabulary development while learning grammar
- Learn how to improve student and classroom use of the metalanguage of English
- Understand how to use the open-class parts of speech (adjective, noun, verb and adverb) to teach the uses of noun groups, adjectival phrases and clauses in writing.
To register or find out more about this option email or call Alicia Diggs on 02 8020 3923.
You will have access to the course materials for 10 weeks.
Cost of Participation:
Please note: Those who have completed Rod’s full course, Teaching Knowledge for The Art and Craft of Writing, will have already covered this content.
Completing this online workshop provides approximately three hours of online professional learning and addresses 2.1.2 and 6.2.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.